Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Gabe's zoo field trip

Yes, it's that time again. I have once again fulfilled my civic duty. No, I didn't vote. I chaperoned Gabe's field trip, for the third year in a row. I am happy to report that everyone survived the experience. It's getting easier each year. By fifth or sixth grade, I expect I won't break out in hives when the note announcing that chaperons are needed arrives. On second thought, by then new problems are sure to have arisen. Like puberty. Help!!! Anyway, a good time was had by all. The kids were supposed to be filling in a map of the zoo, and locating various buildings and exhibits. Here we see Elisha, Aidan, Gabe and Jordan hard at work.

My boys seem to have learned a thing or two about climbing from the mountain goats. This was their favorite part of the whole field trip. We spent a LOT of time climbing this rock. By "we", I mean them.

Here are Gabe and Aidan during our lunch break. The playground where we ate lunch accounts for our second biggest expenditure of time.


Here we are, preparing to go into the rainforest. I LOVE the rainforest. Animals get to roam free in there. Besides, there are three-toed sloths. And a zoo keeper who lets me pet three-toed sloths. Shhh! Don't tell!

Elisha and Gabe are just plain goofy. I'm denying that there is a picture of me doing this exact thing at this exact spot, but at a much greater age. Denying, I tell you!

We met up with various other groups throughout the day. Here we are with Summer's group. Summer is the adorable little girl on the right. I'm sorry to say that I can't recall the name of the other adorable little girl. Gabe would know, but I'm too lazy to get up and ask him. Besides, he's in his room watching "Iron Will" right now.


I have a picture of my group from kindergarten in front of this penguin. I should find it to compare. Nah, I'm too lazy.

This was a high point for me. After years of trying to learn to speak flamingo, this year one came right up and started a conversation with me! I tried to stuff him in my bag to take home as a yard ornament, but the zoo keepers caught me at it and made me put him back. Don't you just want to pick him up and use him as a croquet mallet? No? Just me? Alice in Wonderland, people! The Queen of Hearts! No? Still just me?

Don't know if you can tell, but the tiger is yawning in this picture. Apparently, we bore him.


Zoe asked us to join her group at the elephant house. Zoe is the little darling in the baseball cap, sporting the huge black eye. Zoe and Gabe have simultaneous crushes on one another, best I can tell. My son has excellent taste in girls. I love Zoe! Is it too soon to hope that this crush lasts through middle school, high school and college? Perhaps a little, but that won't stop me!

So, there you have it. Zoo field trip '08. I'm off the hook until May of '09!

No comments: