Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I've been away for a while...OK, a looooong while...and it's hard to get back on the blog wagon. To tell the truth, this is a blog I've been working and reworking in my mind for a while, and just can't seem to get it out. As most of you probably know, my granny passed away on June 19. I don't know how I can possibly express in one blog just how much she meant to me, but I'm going to try anyway.

Granny was beautiful, kind, and had a wicked sense of humor. She bought me my first bikini and my first miniskirt, and somehow managed to convince my dad to let me wear both. I think she enjoyed his discomfort, actually. When I was a kid, I knew her as a Story Teller, and the Keeper of Secrets. Andrea and I always thought we were pulling a fast one on her when we'd get her to tell one story after the other at bedtime. Now I realize she was well aware that we were getting to stay up late, but telling us stories was important to her, so she did it. As an adult, I saw more in her stories, and came to know her as someone who lived through some really hard times and refused to let life take away her sense of fun. She had a smile that was irresistible.

I think that most of my favorite stories will always be the ones that involve Granny, and I hope I remember them well. I'll never tell them quite like she did, but my kids will hear them. Most likely, they'll hear them until they begin to roll their eyes every time I start talking. But hopefully, someday they'll look back and remember the stories, and tell them to their own children. Who will roll their eyes. Because that's how it works.

7 comments:

emmms said...

I'm so sorry, 'Lista. It's terrible when someone who means so much is suddenly no longer there. For what it's worth, if anyone has inherited the Story Telling gene it's you. You have a true gift for weaving tales where there were only threads. Much love to everyone xxxxx

Brooke said...

I wish I could have known her because she sounded like a hoot!

I'm so sorry that you and others are hurting so much right now. You can always call if you need someone to just listen. :)

Knit Witch said...

Awwwwww - I'm so sorry for your loss. That is so wonderful that you had such a great person to be your grandmother though! My grandma totally sucked........

Christina said...

Wish I could hug you =( I'm so thankful that death does not have to be the final goodbye.

Anonymous said...

It was worth the wait to hear your story about your connection to your grandma. Thanks for posting your story and the lovely picture. Grandparents are so precious.

~Delana A.

MamaT said...

Good blog Calista. She loved you very much--you were the first. I'll never forget how much she hated us flying off to Nevada to be with your dad the day before your first birthday. We had lived with her that first year.

Anonymous said...

Praying for your comfort and that you would continue to remember the fun and happy times with your grandmother. Much Love Phyllis